Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Otway Odessey Race Report

Well after what I thought was a great preparation in training I rolled to the line feeling good and determined to stay in the front 50 of the bunch for as long as I could. I comfortably rolled along the Great Ocean Road in about the 4th row of bikes, as we turned left I maintained my position and as the road started to climb was still maintaining my position. As the road got steeper a few people started to slide backwards and a few riders started to go past me, what I did notice was those going past were digging deep and breathing heavily, and I was riding at a good solid tempo, so I thought that they would all pay later for such early efforts.

As we crested the timed climb at the 8km mark I would have been about 40th. We started a fast gravel road descent and entering a sweeping left hander I lost traction and was sliding towards a spoon drain and rock wall, doing about 50kmph. Not being the best at crashing (yes it is a skill) I managed to sort of keep it upright and drop into the drain, trying to wipe off some speed, I then hit a rock, still doing at least 30kmph and went flying over the bars. Fortunately I did not get my hands down as I could have done a wrist or collarbone so instead I led with my helmet. So I essentially hit the wall at a 30deg angle, which was lucky as it was a glancing blow, I managed to tear off plenty of the skin down my right side. After about 5 seconds I was back on the bike, albeit a bit slower and with a cranking headache. It was later at the finish that I would discover that my helmet was cracked.

So a bit shaken from my "stack" I continued on for another 91 kms. I managed to tap out the 50th best time down the red carpet descent, which if you ever go and ride in Forrest is a must do. I was hit with cramps at the bottom of the red carpet, maybe the extra effort put me over the edge. So the next 50kms would be ride a solid tempo with no cramps or lift the pace to stay with another rider and the cramps would hit again.

At the 67km mark I headed to do the Yauger loop which included Mariners Run, which are some of the best trails in this area. Part of this loop took in the Kona night loop in reverse, which was good to ride again. I had had a flat spot at the start of this loop, but finished it well and was ready for the last loop. The final 14km's includes a long steady open to the sun climb, I got in a rhythm and passed 5 riders, as I entered "Britney's Meltdown" which is a section of rolling hills which I guess would send you to a breakdown if you were on the edge. I rode the last 8kms by myself, and finished in 5hrs.51mins and in 73rd place. This was 41 mins better than last year and 101 mins better than 2007.

So overall I was kinda happy with my ride considering the crash and the cramps. Although I was aiming to finish in the top 40 riders. I have highlighted a couple of things that I will do differently in preparation for the BMC in April.

As an event the Otway Odessey is a killer as you cannot hide from the brutal climbs that just keep on coming, and after all the climbing you then have to hammer your way through some tight single track. So of course that all means I will be back again in 2010 for another crack.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like great fun! ;-)

    At least it was only your head.

    Cheers, Kurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mr T well done, could have had a nice trip in a ambulance by the sounds of that crash!

    ReplyDelete