Sunday, February 1, 2009

HOT HOT HOT IN MELBOURNE

As locals to Melbourne will know we have had some extreme heat over the past week, which has made getting out on the bike harder. I planned a MTB ride home from work on Thursday.

As I rolled out the door at 4.30 after work it was 44.3 deg. I actually thought my ears were going to catch alight, they were burning after 2 minutes.

Now for those that know the yarra trails. I would be joining from the end of Gipps st in collingwood and riding single track for about 2 hours until I got to Templestowe. Needless to say rider traffic was not a problem.

What was a problem was when I got stopped at the lights 3 minutes into the ride and my peddle touched the back of my calf and burnt it. My water bottles had been in the freezer for about 2 hours and were partially frozen after 15 minutes they were warm and after 20 it was like drinking a cup of tea.

As the humidity was so low I never really had sweat on me so to try and cool down I had to pour the hot water on me and use the water and wind to cool me down. This worked but its not that pleasant pouring hot water on your head.

The sun went behind the clouds at 1 hour in and at 2.5 hours the cool change came and the temp dropped from 43 to 36 in about 10 mins.

I survived finished on the three hour mark, and then jumped straight in the pool. If it is hot on the 21st Feb I should be ok for the Otway Odessey.

This is my first post sent in via blackberry, as I relax without kids at north burleigh, just Kezz and I for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment