Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Falls Creek Ride 2 Day 1

So after a quick lunch and a drive from Bright over to Mt Beauty it was time to tackle Falls Creek.

In some weird twist of coincidence the two riders I saw that had just come down Buffallo when I started going up were coming down Falls as I was going up, did not think anyone would be out doing the same 2 mountains as I was, but there you go.

Falls is an interesting climb as about 3 or 4 kms in the road flattens and its up and down, which I enjoyed at the time as the legs were heavy after Buffallo. But on the other hand I knew that I would have to work on the descent on the way home.




This creek signifies that start of the last 14kms to the summit of constant climbing. I kept waiting for the road to steepen but it never really does. I overtook one rider towards the summit when it does get a little steeper, but she was about 65 and had double front and rear panniers, that is what I call hard core.


I noticed that all the resorts had work going on as I guess there are only so many months when you can work on things before the snow comes.


There is quite alot of evidence of the fires from 2007 that went through this area and alot of the trees have just now grown back. In alot of areas there are new trees but the burnt trees have no new growth on them.


So at the end of this ride I had clocked up 112kms for the day with 2700mts of climbing. I guess I will have a big dinner and a solid nights rest before I attempt the 150kms I have planned for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment