Sunday, March 14, 2010

New Yarra Glen Loop

In the past year or so we have a "regular" Sat morning loop which takes us around Sugar Loaf Dam. It is what we call a road ride on the MTB's.

As I have plenty of spare time at the moment I headed out on Thursday to do this loop and add a few extra bits. I had done this a few weeks before and found some single track out at Yarra Glen and was now trying to loop it all together.

So it was an early start at 6am and on the Virtue I knew I was in for a nice plush ride as we normally tackle this ride on the hardtails. The first part of the ride went well with me putting a nice loop together, it was when I was "searching" for a track I used to ride when I lived in Yarra Glen that things went south, or actually west.

This track was impossible to find as the fires had been through this area, so I rode down the side of a hill where I thought the track used to go to find the track in the valley. Yep not my best idea as the re growth in the valley was alot more than on the ridges where I had been riding. So it was hike a bike for about an hour over 3 ridges before I finally got to the fire road I was after, then smashed it down the fire road to St Andrews, and linked in the Smiths Gully tracks.

Bumped into my neighbour from Yarra Glen who now lives in Smiths Gully, such a small world, considering I was riding tracks he had showed me about 6 years ago.

So after the sweet trails of Smiths Gully it is a slog back home for food. I arrived home to a bit of a worried wife who had started the search for the lost mountain biker. I guess I need a mobile phone when I ride, but that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment