Monday, March 15, 2010

Hell Ride

Saturday saw Jase and I head off to meet Ash for a nice roll out along beach road with 10,000 of our fellow cyclists.

After a sleep in by my riding mate we had to smash it down to the beach to make it on time, a short cut was taken so we would not miss the bunch. So we made it and enjoyed the pace of the bunch humming along at 50kmph.

Bumped into Neil in the pack and we chatted as we slowly fell towards the tail of the bunch. It was then decided that we would head to the front so we rolled to the right and worked our way to the front of the bunch.

Now I have never rolled turns on this ride normally just struggling to keep in the bunch, so I wanted to give it a go. There were from what I could tell about 15-20 guys taking there turn on the front, this lasted about 15 minutes until we reached Frankston where no one rolled through, funny that. So as we hit the base of the climb I dropped back until someone decided they wanted my piece of road and I had to brake and came to a standstill.

As we crested the top of the climb most of the riders around me just rolled to the other side of the road to wait for the bunch on there return. I chased along with one other guy, we were only about 150 meters back which proved about 100 meters too many, as we kept them in sight but could not bridge the gap. Next time I will definitely ensure I climb that pinch faster so I don't have to chase back on.

So it was a long solo ride most of the way back to Black Rock, watching the hundreds of riders rolling out the other way.

I missed all the action of the sprint which sounded like a good thing for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment