Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Wednesday Morning Ride

I had loosely arranged a ride with Steve who works 4 days a week and has Wednesdays off. The plan was meet at Kangaroo Ground at 8am and then head to Kinglake and see from there. I thought that would be turn around and roll back down, 2 hours and we would be done, so I rode out to Kangaroo Ground (about 20kms).

Well when we got to the top Steve said lets drop down into Whittelsea and do the climb Cadel Evans used to train on. Steve is reading the book, says its good, so why not.

So we headed over and down, then did a sharp left before we hit Whittlesea township and headed up Coombs road or the Humevale climb. The road was deserted and it was a steady gradient climb not unlike Chum Creek.

So after the climb we stopped at Pheasant Creek bakery, I had the BEST hot jam donut I have ever had the thing was the size of a football. It was then a furious ride back to Kangaroo Ground as Steve was running late for an appointment.

So as I rolled into my street I had clocked up 126km, not bad when I thought I was doing an 80km ride.

Now the highlight of the ride was the riders we bumped into at the top Coombs road, but more on that later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt, this is a little leftfield but are you interested in a spot in an XPD team? We lost a forth team member a while back due to a knee injury, filled the spot, but unfortunately our fill-in will now need to miss due to changing work commitments. Our teams bumped into each other in the rogaine in the max24 last year (had a shocking race due to a bit of heat stroke, but that's another story), and i came across your blog after reading the race report you posted. I am based in Melbourne, the other two guys are based on the Gold Coast. Feel free to drop a line if you are interested bradley.briggs@optusnet.com.au cheers. Brad.

    ReplyDelete