Monday, January 26, 2009

Tour Down Under Day 3 Thursday

So as day three dawned the weather was still hot, but there was a strong wind blowing. On the ride out to Wickhams Hill I was hit by about 5 or 6 sticks falling from trees and showered with bark. The wind made the ride tough, but did cool things down a bit.

The climb up Wickhams Hill was a tough one, short but tough.

Climbing up Wickhams Hill



There were heaps of people at the KOM point, the announcer said that there was a breakaway with OGrady, Rogers, Armstrong and Matt Lloyd, and 10 others. As they came over the top Lance was looking good.

I was right on the line and had a great view, best spot I had been in so far. After the main bunch had gone through I had to ride like the wind to beat the breakaway to the sprint point at Meadows. The riders did a loop and we cut across. It was a sprint for about 15 kms and I had to drag a couple of other riders along also.

I made the sprint point and I must admit enjoyed riding through the town with the road lined with spectators. I rode about 750mts past the town on a slight hill to watch them come past. I had pulled up on the left and as the breakaway came past they were on the left of the road with Lance driving the break. It was a great way to finish my tour experience.

I will definitely be going back next year whether Lance is there or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment